Monday, January 14, 2008

What would YOU Say?

The call went like this...
(This is an edited version. Call actually took place Thursday Jan 3rd.)

Taylor: Hey (boss), this is Taylor. I need next Friday off & I know I haven't accrued any vacation time so I wanted to run it by you first.
Boss: No problem.
Taylor: Great, oh, and I also need to leave a little early on Thursday as well. Is that ok?
Boss: Um... Ok... Do you have a job interview or something?
Taylor: Yes, out on the West coast.
Boss: We're going to need to change the setup. This relationship isn't working for us. We're going to have to make a change.

20 mins later the office manager came in & said that they were going to let me go. Can't keep paying me to work for them if I was looking for a job. Thanks and goodbye.

I stuck with my philosophy that honesty is the best policy and was straight up with him, but he wasn't as understanding about my situation as I had thought. What would you have said?

The next day I was up and out the door to the probate office. No time to wallow in my unemployment pit of sorrow... I've gotta get a deal going!

So I went out to the west coast on Thursday/Friday for the interview & things went well, it's just a waiting game at this point since they have 2 other candidates to interview this week. I sent out thank you emails this morning to keep me in their minds while they interview the other candidates this week and expect to hear something next week. I'll keep you posted.

On the RE side, I got another probate call while I was in the airport on Thursday. I think that puts me at 16 from the last mailing I did 3 weeks ago! That is a 20% response rate! I have an appointment to call her back and go look at the house this afternoon. Also following up on the "Used Car Dealership" house(previous post) and Jeanne St today as well.

I took page out of Tampa Steph's playbook and called one of those "WE BUY HOUSES" signs to see if they were interested in being on my buyers list. The call went great and I have the details of the type of deals he's looking for and hope to send him something soon. (Hopefully one of these probate deals will materialize and I can flip it his way.) He had no problem with my 5k referral fee, so that's a great contact. Note to self... Call those signs.

With my new found unemployment, I have time to get to the courthouse and gather probate info. I met with my researcher on Wednesday after her 6 week hiatus and in 2 hours we got through the final 2007 files. She's going to keep going on Wednesdays and I plan to add another county to my list on Wednesday & Thursday this week. My table should be full of letters, stamps & envelopes all week!

I am also working on a free & clear mailing campaign in my target zip codes. There are so many options you can do with free & clear houses and since most of my probates have been free & clear's I feel very comfortable talking to owners.

I'm also considering dropping the $25/month for a 1-800 number for a 24 hr pre-recorded info line for my: probates (please press 1), foreclosure (please press 2), and free & clear (please press 3). I have developed a pre-foreclosure info report that I can use my researcher to deliver and really hope that the combination of all these things will help get me that elusive 'first deal' that I'm looking for... I may hold off on this idea until I know for sure what my job situation is going to look like, but I am working on scripts for each of the pre-recorded messages.

Now that I think of it, I'm full time real estate investor! At least until that job calls back next week...

Check back tomorrow for my post about the Angry Pre-Foreclosure Policeman!

Keepin' it great in 2008!

Taylor

ps. I'm usually not one for politics. In fact, I usually leave that to my lovely bride. But I was referred to this site and after answering all the questions, the answer I got was the candidate I like! Turns out I'm pretty right on with my gut-assumptions after all! Mitt's a hit!

6 comments:

Ann said...

Here on the Central Coast of California, some realtors are conducting bus tours of forclosed homes. They advertise in local RE publications and people respond through their website. They pay for the bus by charging a $20 fee.
I'm going on a tour on Sat. I'll let you know how it goes.

Taylor said...

I'm curious who sponsors the tour, realtors? It's an interesting idea. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for checking the blog!
Taylor

DayByDayFlips.com said...

Congrats on your new status of "full time investor!" Scary isn't it? :) It sounds like you are well on your way to success!! Let me know if there is anything you need from me!

Jared

Taylor said...

Thanks Jared, I actually left you a private message on one of the boards for you to give me a call. I wanted your opinion on a deal, but I got it figured out.

I was inspired by your ode to freezing "I'm Damned Cold" blog post and wrote my Door Hanger Police post above. Keep up the good work!
Taylor

Kirk said...

Scott,

Sorry to hear you lost that fabulous job working for such a considerate and fantastic human being of a boss. He is definitely high up on the periodical chat for the “Hu” human element.

Let’s be the optimists, think about all those waves you have been missing while you have been doing the 9 to 5.

Chantal said...

This is what I would have said,"{Boss}, I'm really sick. I'm like a volcano from both ends." (Giving more information than is necessary makes them feel real uncomfortable and makes them want to end the conversation quickly!) This is what he would have said, "Don't come in. See you when you get better."

You'll receive points in heaven for being honest! I'm still trying to make up for some points I've lost for little work cover-up lies. :)