Saturday, December 29, 2007

Creative Career Experience Spin

The joys of the job-hunt.

Welcome to my "Adventures in creative career experience spin."

As mentioned previously, I am searching for a flexible, lucrative, enjoyable job where I have some time on the road during the day to talk to sellers in between office visits. Not too much to ask right?

Who doesn't want that job though?... I've become aware that there are a lot of people in the state of Utah that will do these types of jobs for about 20k less than anywhere else in the country. Looking for a territory manager or field sales rep? Go to Utah! Thousands of former missionaries all looking for the "main job" with flexibility etc... so they can do their real estate/multi-level marketing gig on the side... (or, watch the kids while the little lady heads out to sell Mary Kay or Pampered Chef!). It all makes it tough for someone from outside the area (who is used to making more $$) to accept a job there.

Obviously I have expanded my search outside the UT zip codes. As much fun as it would be to be around all my friends from college and back in the day and do some real estate deals together, I am afraid I'd starve to death trying to live on the "main job" salary there until RE took off. (sorry Mike.)

We'll see how things progress after the holiday job search slump (all but one decent job lead shriveled up as the holidays/end of the year approached.)

Hey Taylor! You Said This Blog Was Supposed to Be About Real Estate...
Real Estate? My probate researcher took the entire month of December off (and has yet to return my calls. I may be replacing her efforts here soon...) And my foreclosure researcher took the last 2 weeks of Dec off. So my RE efforts have pretty much come to a screeching halt at this point.

PROBATE UPDATE:

If you're keeping track, we're up to 14 responses to my last probate mailing! That's an amazing 18% response rate from direct mail! (Industry standard is 1.5-2% for targeted mailings, .5% for general bulk flyers/postcards etc...) I have made 2 verbal offers that I follow up with on a regular basis. I haven't bought any houses from probate yet, but those letters sure get the phone ringing and I have been able to hone my phone skills with sellers.

HOT NEW IDEA DEPT:
I've got an idea for collecting the FC info for current and future researchers. In a nutshell: I'm tired of gathering/scanning/comp-ing/ typing all the FC info for Virginia Beach in to my custom spreadsheet every day (every other day...) Truthfully, it got real old, real fast. Instead of hiring an assistant to do the grunt-work(which just pushes the busy-work off onto someone else,) I'm looking at a website with specific passwords for my researchers. We'll talk more about that once we run it for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I'm excited to have that 45 minutes of my day back... We're talking 4 hour workweek/lifestyle design stuff here guys! I love these ideas...

And while I don't have the luxury of taking the entire month or even the last half of December off, I am looking down the barrel of a sweet 4-day weekend coming up and hopefully a lot of time with the kids playing Guitar Hero and Tennis on the Wii!

Be safe this New Year's Weekend!

Cheers,
Taylor

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Not ALL the job leads have shriveled up...it only takes one, the right one. And your "creative career experience spin" has payed off. Good luck

Chantal said...

Utahan, I thought you were from California?! I have no doubt you'll be able to creatively spin your experience to land that dream job.

DayByDayFlips.com said...

I didn't realize you were from Utah either! Are you yourself a return missionary?

Steph said...

Good luck with the job search, and happy 2008!!

Steph

Taylor said...

Yes on the RM, no on the Utah residency. I am a U of U grad, but that is the extent of my Utah-hood (as an adult at least.)

I'm hoping to get to Utah to be in the West & be near friends/family. I also like the potential of finding cheaper real estate deals.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm guilty of late-night-blogging...

-Taylor

mikeeha said...

What's wrong with Utah? Where else could I run around in the desert like a crazed chimp swinging my AR15 and blasting everything in sight?.... And it's not considered unusual behavior.

Oh and aren't you missionary dudes supposed to have faith or something?

DayByDayFlips.com said...

Hey Scott,

If I remember correctly from our conversation over at flipitbig.com you and I were going to chat about some things...