Thursday, January 24, 2008

2 Calls!

Totally depressing day today. I got word yesterday that the other candidate for this job in CA is already living in the territory and working with clients there... Seems like a total no-brainer that they'd pick him. But... they are taking their time to decide. (The voice in my head says that they've made a time-sensitive offer to the guy and if he declines...) My recuiter gets back in town on Monday and promised to get me the final word at that time. Grrr... Hate to wait. I hate the weight too, but that's another post topic :).

So, on the plus side, I impressed them so much that I'm still in the running for this job even with the no brainer candidate. But, on the neg side I have waited a week & a half in neutral thinking that this thing was going to be my ticket to ride...

I applied for 8 jobs today. Just combing the heck out of the job boards and stretching the limits of my work history in my cover letters. Home health care sales manager, Red Bull brand manager, Telefloral sales manager... everything that was even close got hit with my shotgun blast today. It was tough.

I got home & it was still tough. I stared off into space during dinner & went up to my office & heard my cell phone buzzing...

Probate #1! Cunningham Dr property. His mother died over a year ago and he held onto my letter until now. How cool. I talked through my info sheet, got the lowdown on why and when they needed to sell, fished for financing flexibility and gave him some key points to talk to the other heirs about over the weekend. No competition on this one. Hasn't talked to anyone else & doesn't want to have to. Would prefer to close in 10 days... I love this guy already. We are set to meet on Tuesday next week & he is going to show me through the house.

Probate #2 is in response to the most recent mailing that went out on Tuesday... 1/45 makes a 2% response rate already! boom. We're playing phone tag with voicemail, but it is good to know those letters are getting opened!

One thing that I came to realize during my conversation with the Cunningham Dr owner was I am getting my phone dialog down pretty well now. I determined the flow of the conversation, I directed with questions and got the info I needed to secure an appointment. Developed rapport and prepped him for our next meeting. IT FELT GREAT!!!!! What a rush. Even if this one doesn't go through, I still feel like it was something of a breakthrough for me. Now I just need to do that about 20 times a week.

I have another 30 probates to enter over the weekend and then after another day of collecting next week I should have all of 2007 entered & mailed. I'm thinking of doing an executor specific mailing once I get them all done. Maybe do that every quarter. After all, once the info is in there I should plan on following up until they either buy/sell or die right?

2 calls...

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Yesterday was tough, for both of us. Makes one appreciate "the little things" a whole heck of a lot, like probate calls and job leads (sigh). When day finally ended, I actually slept.

Chantal said...

Bummer about the job! We're crossing our fingers for you and hoping that the other candidate disappears some how. And also you get your first probate deal REAL SOON!!!!

DayByDayFlips.com said...

Sorry to hear about the job man. I am NOT sorry to hear about you getting comfortable with your dialogue and taking control of that area! Congrats on the response and good luck on Tuesday!! Let us know how things turn out.

Kirk said...

Hey Taylor,

Have you considered working the left coast for flips? Ms. Bruen and I have been busy working SL for a home. This is what we have noticed.

1. There is a ton of inventory.
2. 75% of these homes are in deep discount territory. I have seen home on the MLS originally listed at 675K now asking 525K. Most in short pay or Short sale situations.
3. 60% of the properties we have looked at are vacant.