Saturday, April 12, 2008

So Much Trouble for 2 Pages & 9 signatures...


I FINALLY got a signed contract for 'more hood than hood' (see prior posts.) I'm still cautiously optimistic with this one. Getting 9 heirs and 2 attorneys to all agree on the amount of the offer, terms of the contract and then all be willing get them to sign on the line was an amazing feat. Now if we can just repeat the process next week and CLOSE! After the closing I'll be dancing the Snoopy dance for sure!

You always read/hear about people making $thousands$ of dollars quickly in real estate. In fact, I heard one the other day about an investor in Orange County, CA that bought & sold an ocean-view house in Laguna beach and made a $400,000 wholesale profit in less than 3 hours! I'd love nothing more than to have a similar story for you, but my deal involves a little more leg-work than usual. Plus, I think that stories like that have a long, drawn out background like mine with the heirs etc... but since that doesn't make for good copy, the work/background gets brushed over & you hear about the 'ka-ching!' when the investor makes huge money in a few hours.

It doesn't come easy & it ain't cheap. But I digress...

I guess it's still quick cash compared to working the phones all day at a J.O.B.! I never got a rush like this from getting an insurance contract signed, I'll tell you that much!

We had the meeting scheduled at one of the 'neutral' heirs' house on Wed at 7pm, but only 4 showed up. I got them signed up and a straggler showed up... Got him to sign.




Then the key heir & I made a little caravan throughout Norfolk & Chesapeake to get the remaining 3 signors in the area. That left the uncle out in the country for the next morning. I got home at about 11:30pm Wed night. Beat.

Next morning saw me driving from Virginia Beach to South Boston, VA (home of the Danville VA NASCAR track!) to meet up with the final heir yet to sign. It took me 3 1/2 hours and after a quick 12 minutes in the parking lot at the Shoney's Restaurant to get my signature I headed back to VB. 7 hours on the road for a 12 minute signing... Whew! I will say that it was a beautiful drive. Rural Southeast Virginia in springtime is hard to beat. I had my window down and my eyes peeled for speed-traps as I worked my way through civil war country.

So it took about 3 weeks to go from verbal deal to signed deal on this one. Problem is, it took so $*%##%'ing long to get all the signatures & attorney sign-offs that my two buyers cooled on the deal with one headed off elsewhere with his money and one unwilling to pay me the wholesale fee I was looking to get.

So I'm off to find my own buyer and it looks like I may have one to assign the contract to on Sat afternoon. Cross your fingers!

ps. Check my website at www.11daysale.net for some of my other properties under contract. Lots going on around here lately!

Cheers!
Taylor

1 comment:

Coach said...

I know dealing with heirs are difficult for a realestate transaction. Any probate deal can go wrong even at closing. I have written several article at my site if you or others are interested in reading them http://www.simonvolkov.com check it out and give me your feed back