Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Motivation and A Low Information Diet

I went to my local REIA last Tuesday night. It was a very uplifting meeting and I had the chance to meet a number of other new investors and some money people (lenders mostly.)

I also learned about a new association here in VA called the Foreclosure Prevention Council. The idea is to provide investor training and encourage ethical FC investing in VA in a effort to become something of a self-governing group rather than having legislation forced upon the industry. I like the idea and plan on attending the initial meeting next week. Here's the link. I'll let you know...

The main platform speaker last night was Tony Horner. Tony was a former railroad worker who has really grown into one of the more successful RE investors in the area. It was really inspiring for me to see a guy with so little formal education and coming from such a humble background make it in the RE game. I really enjoyed his talk and appreciate how approachable he was.

I also met Lonnie Scruggs who is a 30 yr RE veteran who gives speeches at RE conventions across the country. We had a chance to chat about the industry and the value of the connections made when attending local and national group meetings. Lonnie is a mobile home investor guy, which is not my thing, but I appreciate where he's coming from. Can't knock his success, that's for sure.

I've been reading up on how to network with attorneys and am putting together my unique value proposition. I am going to contact estate and probate attorneys in the area in conjunction with my probate mailing program and see if I can get some contracts going that way.

One of the things that has come up in conversation with various people is the question of how I find time to do all the things I have going.
First answer is that I am committed to creating the life I've always wanted and will do what it takes to get there. (And I tend to be a little bit of an insomniac when big projects/things are on the line.)
The second is an idea for creating useful time that I got from reading Timothy Ferriss' book 'The Four Hour Workweek' called a media fast. He actually has a section of the book dedicated to developing a low information diet. The concept changed my whole approach to info/news. Basically, you skip the local/national news for 21 days and use the time/energy to forward your projects.

I have been doing it for the last 4 weeks now and have to report that my mood is better and I have a lot more time to work on my RE project. I totally abstained from all news for 21 days, but am now back to scanning the WS Journal in the morning for Insurance and RE related news. Try it, you'll like it!

3 comments:

DayByDayFlips.com said...

"Media Fast"... sounds very interesting. I'm sure that could lighten anybody's mood!!

Jason DeLoy said...

I think I might try that. My name is Jason Casperson, married to Cassie Oviatt who is Chantal's sister (married to your brother-in-law i guess?). We live in Orlando and have been venturing into the wide world of real estate. It seems to be a ripe buyer's market here with good spreads in everything from reo's to foreclosures. I like the probates you are doing..i may try them. Anyway, nice to meet you and I enjoy your "journal".

Taylor said...

Thanks Jason. Drop me an email and I will hook you up with the probate info I'm using. Thanks for checking the blog.

I'm sending out some more probates in the morning. Post to follow...