Friday, November 14, 2008

My Latest Auction

As you may remember, I held an auction/open bid sale the weekend of Nov 8-9.
On one hand, the auction process was super successful.
  • 2100 mailers to surrounding .5 mile radius generated a lot of calls to the toll-free 11 Day Sale Real Estate Hotline. Many visitors mentioned the cards.
  • 90 Auction signs posted in 1mi radius. Amazing pull.
  • Over 130 groups (most groups were 2 or more) attended on both days. Huge turnout.
  • 9 bidders willing to put their info on a bid card & participate in the auction.
Like I said, the PROCESS worked like a charm to get people there. This is why I favor these type of sales to sell properties.

Unfortunately, I missed the market by about $100k! My best estimate (comps, sold's, property condition etc.) was that the property had a retail value of 460k+. I bought it at $387k on an option contract & moved forward with finding an end buyer.

Bids:
  1. $225k
  2. $250k
  3. $275k
  4. $300k
  5. $300k
  6. $325k (eventually moved up to $350k)
  7. Skipped first round; Joined at $350k in round 2, but wouldn't budge upwards...
  8. Backed out once he heard the $300k+ bids (but asked me to call him with a cherry deal next time...)
  9. All cash buyer. Wanted $.50 on the dollar (150k?) Hot REO investor.
Highest bids were $350 & $350. bummer. Taylor makes $0.00. Referred the deal to my realtor and she might make something out of the short-sale as the property is leveraged at $380k.

AND, to add insult to injury, the dirt in Paso Robles is like CEMENT! Holy Crap! I had to use a piece of 3/8" rebar and a 3lb engineers' hammer to make holes for my signs. I think I pounded 140+ holes in the ground getting them all posted. (Having the holes already there made for easy replacement though...)

Education. Expensive, but priceless.





Lessons learned?:
  1. Know thy market. It is lower than thou thinkest...
  2. Buyeth Bettereth.
  3. Auction process works exceptionally well in this market. (assuming 1 & 2 are met)
  4. Ingenuity and persistance are key to success in real estate investing.
  5. God bless the option contract. I am greatful that the seller had no way to force me to buy this house at $387k. Option to purchase for 30 days... $11 dollar consideration. What a great way to control property.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Great perspective.

You didn't make money on this one, but you learned some lessons, which will no doubt make you some money on future deals.

Keep on truckin.

Steph :)

Taylor said...

Thanks Steph! I'm watching your blog, but have been too busy to comment. Congrats on all your successes!
Thanks for stopping by.

-taylor

Shae said...

Hi Taylor!

Thought I'd stop by your blog and nice to hear about your experience with the open bid/auction process. I'm seriously considering using this process next month to sell a property we're rehabbing.

I also need to take a page from your book and start working on securing properties from sellers using the option contracts.

Take care,
Shannon
My blog -> www.goodfaithinvesting.com

Shae said...

Taylor - I meant to ask you in the last post...what exactly did your sign say that promoted the auction?

Taylor said...

Sign says
Home for Auction
Open House
Sat & Sun 12-5pm
Highest and Best Bidder
This weekend(hand written)
(my 866# where I record the info)

I think there are more pictures in my previous blog posts, back in May or June.